Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Glazed Doughnut Muffins


I woke up Sunday morning and thought, I NEED muffins today! Have you ever had one of those mornings? So I looked around my Pinterest Board  and low and behold I found THESE! Glazed Doughnut Muffins! Yahoooo! Luckily for me, the recipe is only for 12! They were THAT good!  

NOTE: you can easily double this recipe with equal ingredients to get 24!

My camera phone did NOT do these justice!


Glazed Doughnut Muffins
For the Muffins:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
For the Glaze:
  • 3 tablespoons butter; melted
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add in baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour until thoroughly combined.
  3. Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing.
  4. To make the glaze, mix together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
  5. When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time and allow to harden then serve.  
Yields: 12 muffins 

Baking with Melissa hosts Baking Parties and Cooking Parties in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas! Find Baking with Melissa on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook!
 

15 comments:

  1. omg. those look to die for.

    And, yes...I wake up pretty much every morning with an I-NEED-to-bake mentality.

    I miss being able to do so. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. They ARE SOOOOO GOOD!!! I hope you can make them one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great ... but how much nutmeg? I don't see it in the ingredients list -- just the directions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sweets Lover!!! Thank you for pointing that out to me! I deleted the Nutmeg from the recipe because it was too strong! I just updated it in the recipe here on the site! :) THANK YOU!

      Delete
    2. can I use yogurt instead of the vegetable oil and butter.

      Delete
    3. Yes! Absolutely! That is a great, healthy alternative! I love using yogurt in baked goods!

      I found this information online to help you figure out the measurements: http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Replace-Butter-When-Baking-21875486

      Please let me know how they turn out!!!

      Delete
  4. These look yummy, I wonder what would happen if I omitted the brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would want to add more granulated sugar if you take out the brown! But I think it would work fine! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Brown sugar will make them moister, plus retain their moisture a bit longer. Substituting with white sugar will just make them a bit drier and possibly fluffier.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to include the brown sugar :( I hope they still taste OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I added 1/4 t. of nutmeg, and used 1/2 cup apple cider and 1/2 cup milk, and these were DELICIOUS!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANNE!!! I am so glad you liked these and I LOVE the addition as well! I will have to try your version! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. I only made the glaze and made my own muffins and the glaze was okay it just didn't look as pretty as the picture xD I must have done something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, oh! I am so sorry it didn't turn out correctly. The key to this is to dip them into the glaze several times. I hope that helps. :)

      Delete